Top 10 Best Gaming Keyboards
- 1.1 Difference between a gaming and regular keyboard
- 1.2 Types of gaming keyboards
- 1.3 Membrane keyboards
- 1.4 Mechanical keyboards
- 1.5 Choosing The Right Gaming Keyboards
- 2 Top 10 Best Gaming Keyboard Reviews
- 2.1 Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard with LCD
- 2.2 Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- 2.3 Corsair Gaming K70 LUX Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit Red LED, Cherry MX Blue
- 2.4 Razer BlackWidow Chroma Clicky Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Fully Programmable and 5 Macro Keys
- 2.5 Corsair Gaming K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX Speed RGB
- 2.6 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth V2 - Backlit Quiet Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with 10 Key Rollover
- 2.7 Razer Orbweaver Chroma - Elite RGB Mechanical Switches Gaming Keypad - Adjustable Hand, Thumb, and Palm-Rest
- 2.8 Corsair STRAFE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Red LED, Cherry MX Brown
- 2.9 Pictek 104 Keys Anti-ghosting Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Blue Switch
- 2.10 KrBn Mechanical Keyboard Gaming Keyboard Full Sized Backlit with Phone Holder
- 2.11 Conclusion :
Top 10 Best Gaming Keyboards
Revolution in the field of gaming has brought about several changes and launch of new devices and gaming consoles that can be used for playing the games on the PC. Today, by connecting the gaming device to the television, one can enjoy the games on the bigger screens.
One major component of PC games is the use of gaming keyboards. Unlike the regular keyboards that are paired with the PC, these gaming keyboards have the built and the in-built functions that would help you in playing the games like the way it should be.
With the entry of the gaming keyboards into the market, gamers got the freedom to access the keys and functions that were crucial for the games. These were few things that one cannot get while using the regular keyboard for gaming purpose.
In the past few years, the gaming keyboard has been completely revolutionized, and today, the gamer can make use of a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard, which requires no form of wires to connect to the PC. This, in a way, has prevented the need for unplugging the regular keyboard from the device and plugging the gaming console when you feel like gaming on the PC.
Difference between a gaming and regular keyboard
Most of the gaming keyboards that are used today come under the range of mechanical or the membrane keyboards. Though in this, the mechanical keyboards are preferred than the membrane keyboards for gaming.
There are few features that will help in understanding the difference between a gaming keyboard and the regular keyboard. One needs to understand that gamers require certain keyboard function and keys that cannot be seen on the regular keyboards.
Gaming keyboards are being specially developed to suit the gaming needs of the people. Be it the lower end or, the higher models; there are slight variations that one can observe regarding features and quality that sets apart the gaming keyboard from the regular keyboard. Breaking down the differences between a regular and a gaming keyboard, here are some of the points to consider.
Use of switches
The gaming keyboards have what is called the switches underneath each of the keys in the keyboard. When you press a single key, the spring underneath the key gets pressed down and comes into contact with the stem of the switch. This in turn registers the move made by you and sends it as a signal to the PC.
This basic feature can be found in the mechanical keyboards that one uses for the gaming purpose. Though the regular keyboards tend to have these, they do not serve the same purpose as that of the gaming keyboard.
Gaming keyboards are used for high and advanced level of gaming, and thus it is common to see that such keyboards have better quality than the regular keyboards. The regular keyboards are general low in cost when compared to the ones used for gaming, and thus you can expect the manufacturer to make use of a low-quality membrane as a dome for the keyboard.
This is not the case for the gaming keyboards. In these keyboards, nearly all the keys have some function or the other and would be used while playing the games. This is one of the reasons why manufacturers ensure to add a durable protective dome to the keyboard.
Types of gaming keyboards
Now that it has been made clear about the differences between the gaming and the regular keyboards, it is time to address the two different types of gaming keyboards used by the gamer.
The two variants include membrane and mechanical keyboards. These two are the basic types, and the other variants that come out in the market are developments on these two existing types of gaming keyboards.
As the name indicates, the membrane keyboards make use of sheets of membrane connected to conductive traces underneath them. When the user presses the key, the pressure pads that are located on the holes underneath the top membrane get pushed down and touch the conductive traces that send a signal to the PC.
This keyboard can further be divided into flat key design and the switch keyboard. The latter is most often used as a gaming keyboard, as they have the keys popping from the surface, thereby increasing the physical feedback required to transmit the signal.
Advantages of membrane keyboards
Some notable advantages of using a membrane keyboard for gaming include,
- Noise-free : As the keyboard has sheets of membrane, there is no sound generated when you press the keys while gaming. The games may require you to use the keys in a faster pace, and during this time, you would not disturb the person next to you by clicking on any of the keys.
- Similar experience to mechanical keyboards : Since both of them are made using the advanced technology, one cannot find any much difference between the build of the two keyboards used for gaming. They both have the same level of physical feedback, though the mechanical keyboard tends to have a little edge over the membrane keyboards.
- Affordable pricing : These membrane keyboards are manufactured using the materials that are easy to find and uses the mature technology while making the dome for the keyboards. This way, the overall cost of the keyboard gets lowered and becomes affordable for the person to buy.
- Easy to carry : Membrane keyboards are made from plastic and are considered to be lightweight. You can carry it along with you or place them on your lap while you are gaming.
Mechanical keyboards have switches underneath each of the keys, and some of these switches have a function that is different than the others. Some of these keys are easy to press, while the others require some extra pressure.
These mechanical keyboards come fit with replaceable and exchangeable keycaps that can be removed or put back if they come out from their groove.
Advantages of mechanical keyboards
Some of the advantages that you can benefit from while using the mechanical keyboards include,
- Exchangeable keycaps : The presence of removable keycaps helps the user to customize the keyboard keys according to their preferences. You can take it up as a DIY project and give the entire keyboard a new look to match the letter case in the keys or the theme of your desktop.
- Durable : Unlike the membrane keyboards, the mechanical keyboards do not have a membrane within them, thus takes a lot of wear and tear. The keys do not change their feedback with the slightest motion and will stay the same even after you use it after a long time.
- Tactile : Once you get used to the mechanical keyboard, your moves and preferences will be remembered, and you do not have to press the same key repeatedly, which is usually beneficial to the gamers having the tendency to type quickly.
- Perfect weight : This particular feature adds to the advantage of the gamers, as you do not have to push the keyboard back into position if it slightly moves away in the middle of the game.
- Typing style : As the mechanical keyboards make use of switches, you do not have to press all the way down on the key. A slight push on the key is enough for the keyboard to send out the signal to the PC.
- Using multiple keys : With the mechanical keyboard, you have the liberty to use more than one key at a time during the game. At times, you can press all the keys on the keyboard if the game requires, which cannot be done in the case of a regular keyboard. This particular aspect is called key rollover.
- Easy maintenance : As the keyboard has replaceable keycaps, it can be removed while cleaning the device and put back on later.
Both the two different types of gaming keyboards have their pros and cons that need to be weighed before you choose one for your gaming purpose. Each of these keyboards has been built to suit the various gaming needs of the people, and you need to understand that not all keyboards would suit every person.
Choosing The Right Gaming Keyboards
The idea is simple. If you are person who wishes to play minimal games on the PC and has no preference for the type of keyboard, it is better to choose the one that is on the lower end of the market. For people involved in high levels of fast paced gaming, then it is better to choose the one that comes with all the advanced features, which can enhance the entire gaming experience.
Keep in mind that any form of investment that you make for the gaming keyboard is being done with the future in mind and not just the short term use. For all the pro gamers out there looking to buy some quality gaming keyboards, here are few things that you need to consider before you decide upon a particular make.
The final pricing on the product is given after taking into consideration all the added features to the device. This includes the mechanical switches, the RGB lighting and the extra function keys on the keyboard. High quality gaming keyboards do not fall into an easily affordable price range, though you need to ensure that the price is worth all the features that have been mentioned.
In such keyboards, you will see a wide range of features that include a num pad, extra row of macro keys, monocolored and RGB backlighting, full range of keys and mechanical switches.
Membrane or Mechanical
The price of the keyboard plays a major role in choosing between the two variants of gaming keyboards. As mentioned earlier, they have their benefits and downsides. When we consider the pricing, the keyboards on the lower side of the price listing come under the membrane keyboards, while those on the higher side are the mechanical keyboards.
Amateurs who are new to the process generally start out by practicing on the membrane keyboards and then upgrade to the mechanical keyboards. This will help them to gain some control over the games in the initial stages.
Choosing an all purpose model keyboard
The basic idea behind a gaming keyboard is to bring in all the features of the peripheral devices into a single device. The majority of the keyboards that you see today in the market fall under these all-purpose model range of gaming keyboards. By choosing this type of gaming keyboard, you would save up on the cost of purchasing the in-built peripherals found on this keyboard.
There are three different types of lighting in the gaming keyboards. These are none, monocolored and full RGB. This lighting will help the gamers to press the correct keys on the keyboard, even if the person is not good with typing. But the one thing that you need to consider in this would be choosing the right type of lighting that matches with your mouse and the screen.
For instance, if the mouse and the power indicator have a red color lighting, choosing a keyboard with blue lighting would put off the ensemble that you have set up for gaming.
Right features for the price
When you choose the gaming keyboard, ensure that you can get all the features you are looking for at that price. If you do not pay attention to that, you will end up spending more from your pocket after you purchase the gaming keyboard when you wish to add the lighting or some extra keys on the surface. Above all, decide if the particular gaming keyboard is durable and lives up to the name it has built for itself in the market.
Now that you know what is out there, it is time to keep in mind the various factors mentioned above before you choose a gaming keyboard. Being a long term investment, it is better to choose the one that is worth the money spent.